Week 4 Assignment – Defense in Depth
The process of implementing security frequently opens one’s eyes to other forms of security not previously considered. In this two-part assignment, you should experience just that. This assignment focuses on a model of implementing security in layers, which, in many cases, requires a network that is designed accordingly. The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Recommend best security practices to achieve business objectives based on risk assumptions.
Design a network that incorporates the following:
- One corporate site (Chicago).
- All servers exist here (web server, file server, print server, mail server, FTP server).
- Connection to the Internet (50 MBps).
- 300 employees who only need access to local corporate resources and the Internet.
- One remote site (8 miles away).
- 20 employees who need access to all resources at corporate, plus the Internet.
- Connection to the Internet (3 MBps).
Use Microsoft Visio or an open-source alternative, such as Dia Diagram Editor, to:
- Create a network diagram with defense in depth in mind, citing specific, credible sources that support the design and depicting at least four-fifths of the following:
- All necessary network devices (routers, switches and/or hubs, firewalls, VPNs, proxies, and others).
- The interconnections between network devices.
- Connections to end-user (client) devices (desktops, laptops).
- Connections from the Internet cloud to the network input.
Write a 6–10 page paper in which you:
- Describe the flow of data through the network, citing specific, credible sources.
- Assume data begins at the remote site.
- Data flow may be monitored by an IDS.
- Explain all three elements of the CIA triad and how isolating by network functions helps deliver a layered approach, citing specific, credible sources that support your assertions and conclusions.
- Support your main points, assertions, arguments, or conclusions with at least four specific and credible academic sources synthesized into a coherent analysis of the evidence.
- Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment