Referring to the resource entitled: “Serving transgender and gender nonconforming persons” what current challenges do transgender and gender non-conforming individuals face when dealing with health or human services? What are some guidelines set forth by the National Health Care for the Homeless Council (authors of this resource) that can aid health or human services providers in creating an inclusive environment for those who have transitioned their gender or are outside of the traditional genders of men and women?
You must support your response with scholarly sources in APA format. Simply stating your opinion is not enough, back up your opinion with citations. Refer to the DB Grading Rubric for more details.
Textbook or eBook:Diller, J. V. (2018). Cultural diversity: A primer for the human services (6th ed.). Cengage Learning.
- Chapter 18: Working with American Male Clients
Articles, Websites, and Videos:This resource examines the specific behavioral health needs of men, why they abuse substances, and social issues they may confront during treatment.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (US). Addressing the Specific Behavioral Health Needs of Men. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); 2013. (Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 56.) 3, Treatment Issues for Men.
This resource examines masculinity, social support networks, and the mental health of men.
- McKenzie, S. K., Collings, S., Jenkin, G., & River, J. (2018). Masculinity, Social Connectedness, and Mental Health: Men’s Diverse Patterns of Practice. American journal of men’s health, 12(5), 1247–1261. https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988318772732
World Health Organization’s look at gender and the status of women’s mental health.
- Gender and women’s mental health. (n.d.) SAMHSA
This resource reviews the Domestic Violence Act and major revisions since its creation in 1994.
- What is the violence against women act? (n.d.). National Domestic Violence Hotline.
National Association of Social Worker’s social justice brief on social workers’ roles in responding to intimate partner violence.
- Wilson, M. & Webb, R. (n.d.). Social Work’s Role in Responding to Intimate Partner Violence. National Association of Social Workers.
Myers and Fitzgerald (2011) examine types of violence against women and their implications for the workplace.
- Chen, S. (2011). Diversity Management: Theoretical Perspectives and Practical Approaches. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
This resource from the National Health Care for the Homeless Council reviews best practices for healthcare centers in caring for Transgender and Gender Non-Confirming People experiencing homelessness.
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council. (2016, Sept). Serving transgender and gender nonconforming person: Establishing and improving models of care for those without homes.
Yasmeen Hamza, associate director of client services at the New York Asian Women’s Center, discusses the importance of cultural appropriate services and highlights the work the Center does for victims of domestic violence and human trafficking.
Watch VideoDomestic Violence & Human Trafficking among Asian Americans: New York Asian Women’s Center (NYAWC)Duration: 10:13
User: Asian American Mental Health – Added: 4/23/14Supplementary Materials:A 2013 National Association of Social Workers’ discussion on the feminization of poverty.
- Feminization of poverty revisited. (2013, Mar 20). National Association of Social Workers.
Transgender, Gender Identity, and Gender Non-Conforming Terminology and Definitions.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Definitions. (2020). Human Rights Campaign.